Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Name is Pride

My name is Pride
a poem by Beth Moore

I am a cheater.

I cheat you of your God-given destiny… because you demand your own way. 

I cheat you of contentment… because you “deserve better than this.” 

I cheat you of knowledge… because you already know it all. 

I cheat you of healing… because you are too full of you to forgive. 

I cheat you of holiness… because you refuse to admit when you are wrong. 

I cheat you of vision… because you’d rather look in the mirror than out a window. 

I cheat you of genuine friendship… because nobody’s going to know the real you. 

I cheat you of love… because real romance demands sacrifice. 

I cheat you of greatness in heaven… because you refuse to wash another’s feet on earth.

I cheat you of God’s glory… because I convinced you to seek your own. 

My name is Pride. I am a cheater. 

You like me because you think I’m always looking out for you. 

Untrue. 

I’m looking to make a fool of you. 

God has so much for you, I admit, but don’t worry…

If you stick with me you’ll never know.