"In Mission of Motherhood, [Sally Clarkson] wrote about being frustrated with her children. She felt like her efforts weren't proving fruitful, and no matter what she did with her children or how many times she told them what to do, it wasn't working. Clay [her husband] said to her, 'Honey, at what age did you stop sinning? Because that's when our children will stop.'" ~ Sarah MaeLightbulb! Ahhh, yes :)
Saturday, February 27, 2016
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
- Last week: We had a little bit of snow on President's Day and somewhat normal week up until Aolani's sixth birthday on Thursday. She got to pick all the food that day. I had a friend come over and bake her cake of choice on Friday before Ricky's dad and brother came to visit and celebrate :) We did cake/ice cream and presents that night. The next day we did two fun outings of her choice -- the new, accessible park and an inflatable play place for kids. The kids were exhausted then! The next day, we had home church, visited Whole Foods, attempted entering our storage unit, and made it to half of small group. And we're still tired.
On her actual birthday, we ate her favorite pizza and watched her favorite movie, Sleeping Beauty.
She asked for a mango cake and pink ice cream
Sleeping Beauty's Castle (yes, she requested the Duplo set versus Legos because she wanted to use them along with her Cinderella and Ariel sets!)
A Nerf Crossbow
At the park
At an inflatable play place for kids
Hopscotch = our school phys ed one day :)
- School verse: Isaiah 9:6 ~ U -- Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
- Verse to memorize this week: 2 Corinthians 3:8-9 ~ will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!
Tuesday, February 23, 2016
A Turkestan brother's response in his interview with David Garrison in A Wind in the House of Islam “Don’t worry,” he said. “We are rejoicing in Christ. We have a saying, ‘When you are persecuted, thank God that you have not been thrown into prison. If you have been thrown into prison, thank God that you have not been beaten. If you have been beaten, thank God that you have not been killed.’” He paused and smiled again, “And if you have been killed, thank God that you are with Him in heaven.”- there are weekly petitions you can sign to help stand with our persecuted brethren through International Christian Concern.
Thursday, February 18, 2016
- Last week was all the normal plus Ricky working out of county twice, a friend joining us one evening, and Valentine's Day (we didn't go out but shared the evening together after kids went to bed with roses and an in-house massage ;) ).
- Aolani has a wardrobe bar screwed to the wall for her hanging clothes. I guess she thought it was a jungle gym and pulled it with wall chunks off the wall one night! Live and learn.
Cotton ball race ;)
Aolani won both times
- School verse: Proverbs 3:5-6 ~ T -- Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your path.
- Verse to memorize this week: 2 Corinthians 3:7 ~ Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was,
Saturday, February 13, 2016
"All God's plans have the mark of the cross on them, and all His plans have death to self in them." ~ E.M. Bounds
"The Blood deals with what we have done, whereas the Cross deals with what we are. The Blood disposes of our sins, while the Cross strikes at the root of our capacity for sin." ~ Watchman NeeLent has begun. As people of the cross, I love taking this time to reflect and show solidarity to the cross. After much pondering, nothing came to mind that I felt like I should/need to give up this season. So, we decided to take up doing a short workout every night, no matter how tired or what time it is. I guess it is more of a Lent from making excuses why we should skip doing it ;)
Thursday, February 11, 2016
- Last week held much of the normal (kids' art class, friends/helpers visiting, pizza/movie night, church) and some extra! We had an old friend come stay with us for four nights, visited a new wheelchair-friendly playground (I could go up to the top level even), and hosted a small Super Bowl party (with lots of food and movies for our kids!).
Putting on the armor of God ;)
- School verse: Matthew 6:33 ~ S -- Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Verse to memorize this week: 2 Corinthians 3:6 ~ He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Always feeling like an absolute failure as a wife and mother...
At least I am parenting wholeheartedly versus perfectly... as
"There is no way to be a perfect mother but a million ways to be a good one." :) I might would say grace-filled though ;)
Reading parenting quotes on Pinterest -- so good, so true, so funny!
Started this great book Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe, just what I need to read right now!
Beyond thankful for the hope, rest, and victory Jesus has and calls me to receive!!
Thursday, February 4, 2016
- While most of the week was pretty normal, we have put our guest bed to good use! A friend came to visit one night and we had a few days with no guests before my parents came for two nights. We worked hard and finished arranging and decorating the bedroom (see brief video tour below)! Yay; we all love it! We also had our pizza/movie night, church, and small group. Then, another friend/guest arrived :) On top of all of it, Ricky got very little sleep and pulled some all-nighters working on transcript deadlines :(
- Micaiah often exclaims to me, "We have a beautiful home!" (Awww... makes it worth it, right?!)
Naps with Papa
Sword, chainsaw, battle-axe, T-rex... my little man ;)
Aolani's cousin gave Aolani her old scooter
Taking Sarah for a stroll
Early birthday gift from my parents
Playing with neighbors
- School verse: Exodus 20:8-10 ~ R -- Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.
- Verse to memorize this week: 2 Corinthians 3:5 ~ Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.