Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ministering with Kids

I had this tiny epiphany several months ago, but it resurfaced yesterday when we went to visit an 85-year old lady (a dear family friend of mine).

You see, she had not seen Micaiah yet. She got to squeeze Aolani some and just watch a busy toddler at work! But, she got to rock Micaiah to sleep and hold him in her arms for one of his naps. She loved every minute of it, I know. And, I realized just how much my kids blessed her, were a soothing balm on her wounds and a delight in the midst of sorrow and loneliness.

For a while, I was wanting a ministry -- some way to encourage and impact others for Jesus -- in addition to serving my family [or considering this blog]. Going out and volunteering is extremely difficult at this time in our lives (with wee ones, nursing, diapers/potty trips, naps, snacks/food, toys/dangers); I do not really do anything to participate in an activity when we go somewhere because I am busy attending to the needs of my kids (and trying to get Ricky to do for them what I cannot do when we are away from home). "Free time" at home is pretty much non-existent. My speech and dexterity are on the downward slope.

Anyway, all that to say that my ministry opportunities are limited. I was having a hard time trying to think of something I could tangibly do to minister to others (in addition to prayer -- by far the best ministry there is).

Then, one day, it hit me. People love to come over because of my kids. Just being around them elicits smiles, softens countenances, and warms hearts. My kids minister. All I need to do is open our door and welcome people into our home. My kids are my ministry.