Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Non-Toxic Dare

Truth or dare? Well, you are about to get both.

For just one week from Christmas until New Years, Ricky and I are taking a dare. A dare from each other. A dare for each other.

We are each addressing one of our weaknesses to benefit the other, ourselves, and our marriage.

Aidan's dare: I must only speak encouraging words to Ricky. My vision? Take my, oft impulsive, thought, and before giving voice to it, give it a salt bath. Submerge the words in the pool of grace, just like dipping an apple in caramel. Then, I can speak -- words that drip with grace.

"The only air non-toxic to humans is Grace...

Just for today:

  • Couldn’t all the words out of my mouth only be the strengthening words? Words that nourish their bones and muscle their hearts.
  • What if I tried to change nothing in children but I focused on only this: Only speak words that make souls stronger."

-taken from Ann Voskamp's blog post, The Gift of {Strong} Words

Except that I want to try a whole week of this...

Ricky's dare: Ricky must practice instant obedience. Basically, when I am ask him to do something, he not only does it but right then when I ask! No laziness, no procrastination, no disrespect, and no excuses. Sounds like a dream come true, huh?!

Needless to say, this dare will be both challenging and rewarding for us both and our relationship. Still, we are so excited... bring it on!