Thursday, October 28, 2010

What I Was Waiting For

When I was younger in my faith (I turned 10 years old, in the spiritual sense, this past year), I was constantly waiting. I was eager, like a perched dog with head high and ears up, sitting by the back door just waiting for my master to come home at the end of the day.

Waiting for what? For something to come about that would prove God's existence.

Like what? Something tangible or visible. Something outward, not inward. Something undeniable.

Proof? Complete, total, 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt. In other words, when this something would "happen" or "be uncovered," then everyone (and I mean everyone) would have to believe. Period. His existence would be irrefutable.

2 + 2 = 4. There is no denying that truth. That is what I was waiting for.

And then, years later, it comes to me. I remember. Faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God... Now faith is being sure of what I hope for, certain of what I do not see.

I was waiting for a proof that is never going to come. Indeed, it cannot happen. Because I was waiting for that undeniable proof that would eliminate my need for faith. God will never allow the kind of proof that will extinguish faith. God will always make faith necessary.

That's why there is ample extremely convincing evidence for Intelligent Design, the Creator, but not undeniable evidence. He will always give us plenty of the extremely convincing proof - just enough to remind us to have hope. In fact, it just keeps coming. I am unable to keep up with all the new discoveries that reveal our LORD. Yet, some people still deny Him. They are not convinced. The proof is not undeniable. But you know what, it never will be.

Faith is a necessity.