Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Work First, Play After

  • We had a nice, slow, mostly uneventful week(end). However, we did celebrate Aolani's actual birthday last week. We finished school that morning, so we could watch her choice of movie (Frozen) before dinner, more cake and ice cream (leftovers from the party), two gifts, and a board game :)
  • We came up with some age appropriate responsibilities that we began on her actual birthday -- (learning to) sweep, brushing teeth twice a day (added mornings), other personal hygiene stuff, no more naps (quiet time now), and going to Children's church (versus the nursery). This past Sunday was the first time for Aolani going to Children's church (ages 5-10). Surprisingly, Micaiah seemed to understand having to go the nursery without Aolani; he was sad and missed her still though.
  • Here is what quiet time for Aolani looks like: First, she has to go potty before gathering her things (Bible, books, workbooks/crayons, toys, activities) to take to the couch. She is not suppose to leave the couch area, talk much, or play loudly. It's not party, social time; it's independent, quiet time. She reads her Bible and prays while I do my devotions and can play once I go to the office. This is just a general outline.
caught her dozing during yesterday's quiet time
  • A few weeks ago, I finally sat down to do chore charts ("responsibilities" as I call it) for the kids. I googled it and up popped thousands of samples/pictures. A lot of great ideas but nothing exactly suiting what I wanted. I'm not doing allowances right now, and I didn't want a checklist (which would end up being more work for me). I just wanted a visible reminder for them of what they are responsible for doing when the time of day comes or the need arises. So, I made my own. It took about a week of a little here, a little there kind of work, but it got done and pinned to our wall. Most importantly, the kids are proud of it and like to show what their jobs are! Contact me if you want a copy in Publisher format or PDF.

  • Micaiah burst out, "I don't like people!"
  • Aolani has invented her own language. It sounds like she just goes around speaking in tongues ;)
after a couple inches of snow last week (should have more in tomorrow morning)
with a neighbor, displaying their tiny snowman
three snowmen, the one on the left is a bear snowman :)

trying to wash dishes!
 using the new paint rollers
Her bunk is decked out with birthday decorations and gifts -- love it!
  • School verse: Proverbs 15:23 ~ It is wonderful to know the right thing to say and when to say it!
  • I am going to go over Psalm 23 this week because I mostly remember it from when I memorized it a decade ago or so ;) The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.