Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hearts Alive... Aolani Turned 5!

  • We had quite a full week! My mom came in Thursday to help prepare for Aolani's birthday party (my dad cannot travel currently per doctor's orders). It took four women four hours to decorate for the party (which we had at a friend's beautiful and spacious home)! The birthday tea party was mid-morning on Saturday, Valentine's Day so it did not interfere with meals or afternoon naps. Aolani loved it and reveled in her party :) Ricky's parents met us at the party; we had a total of 19 people, 11 adults and 8 children. [More party details below.] We cleaned up right afterwards and 8 of us had lunch at our house. We had pizza and movie night that evening. My mom had to leave the next day, so after church we went with Ricky's parents to Charlotte for IKEA and dinner. They left Monday morning, and the snow was on its way ;)
  • Party details -- Since we had her party on Valentine's Day, we had heart-themed decorations. I wanted to go more with a sweet and homemade feel versus Pinterest perfection. I had the kids make many of the decorations themselves over the past few weeks -- foam glitter hearts, a painted heart garland, and heart suncatchers. We also used balloons (both helium and not scattered around), confetti, streamers, and heart doilies. She made her own paperbag crown earlier that week. We hung five pictures of Aolani (one for each year from birth to four) with clothespins from ribbon. We offered a sweet chex mix concoction with the ginseng tea (honey, sugar, cream); and, we had pound cake with pink frosting and pink vanilla ice cream. We served the tea on mixed sets we borrowed from friends. I organized two heart-crafts that were simple, fun, and mess-free (no glue or paint) -- Heart Bead Wands and Clay Smoosh Hearts. As for presents, I requested homemade gifts or books on the invitations (which the kids helped make). I had several games (clothespin drop, charades, bean bag toss, find the button) ready to play but none required much preparation; I just wanted to have some up my sleeve in case we had time and there was desire. However, we only played one game, the clothespin drop, before the kids dispersed to go outside. Regarding the order of events, we did crafts first while everyone arrived, then the tea party (kids were at a coffee table), blowing out candles, presents, cake and ice cream, game and free play. It's funny because everything turned out so happy and beautiful, even moreso than what I had envisioned, that it could've been Pinterest-worthy after all! ;)

Cinderella Legos (Ricky's parents)
Bike with training wheels (my parents)

  • School verse: Ephesians 6:2 ~ Honor your father and mother.
  • Verses to memorize this week: Psalm 16:10-11 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.