Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Resolutions for 2015

I know this is a bit late, but blogging while away from home just doesn't happen.

New Year's Resolutions. That just sounds intimidating. At least I have thought about it :) {I just read my resolutions for last year and enjoyed it. I worded my feelings very well and am glad to say that I kept 2.5 out of 4 of last year's resolutions!}

Anyway, I think I'm going to make this year quite simple -- a year of prayer and psalms.

Prayer -- not the traditional 'pray more', but focus on two specifics:

  1. I want to say a prayer over every single human being that comes to our door before they leave (with their agreement of course), whether it's the FedEx man, a friend, a neighbor, a stranger... I want to pause, possibly ask them about their day or specific requests (depending on the situation), and pray for them (even if it's just a one-line parting blessing). I just don't want anyone to come to my house without receiving a blessing. I don't want to keep the Spirit's peace, presence, and fullness within our walls, but I want it to flow out the doors. Like Abraham, not just to be blessed but to bless. [I've wanted to do this since we got married but was always waiting for my ducks to be in a row -- waiting for my own house and then for my voice to get better. But, I am tired of waiting on that. That shouldn't hold me back anymore.]
  2. Whenever I see something or hear something I don't like, I want to automatically lift up that person or situation in prayer. I tend to get internally upset, begin to start lecturing in my head, generate an entire sermon on the issue, silently preach, and grow quite sullen. And nothing ever changes. So! I hope to put it in God's hands (and out of my mind) :)
Psalms -- I have six entire psalms I want to memorize. So, I'll focus on those for my Scripture memory this year.


*I memorized one final Scripture bit while on vacation to finish off the year: John 15:13-4 ~ Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command.”