Sunday, January 11, 2015

Let Peace Rule

Before we went on vacation, we were asked by our pastor to light the Advent candle one Sunday and share about peace. Ricky and I both said a piece. Since the LORD gave me this bit of understanding about peace just that morning before we shared, I wanted to write it down in my "journal" before it was gone ;)

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 
Colossians 3:15-6

As believers in Christ, we have great peace naturally because Christ is our peace and He gives to us abundant peace.

However, there are times when I am not letting that abundant peace that I have rule in my heart. Christ already gave it, but now it's up to me to let it rule. So, the question becomes how? How do I unwrap this gift of abundant peace so that it can rule all the time?

In Colossians 3 Paul tells us to let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, and then he proceeds to tell us two ways to do this!
  1. And be thankful. The best way to stay on top of this and be proactive about keeping an attitude of gratitude is, as Ann Voskamp advocates, to keep a list. Write down your gifts, what you are thankful for. Everyday.
  2. Let the word of Christ dwell among you richly. Whether reading or quoting Scripture, let it be in your head and on your tongue constantly. Let the Word consume you and get into your heart! When I first started memorizing some Bible verses and then something would happen, I could go into my memory bank and recall an applicable verse. Yet the more I am in the Word and the more Scripture I know (well), the less I have to recall it because it is consuming. Now frequently when something happens, an appropriate passage will naturally pop up and come to mind without any effort or even having to think of one! Word in, Word out.
Both of these are actions I must take, showing that I am the one responsible for letting the peace of Christ rule in my heart.

Be thankful + Let the word of Christ dwell among you richly = Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts

The mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. 
Romans 8:6