Sunday, June 30, 2013

$ Wesley's Way $

I compiled a few noteworthy examples about John Wesley to share with a group a while ago, and I thought I'd share them here too :)

John Wesley had a great theology of money and spending.

I remember quite a few things from Wesley's life that I learned about in Randy Alcorn's book Money, Possessions, and Eternity. Here are some:
  • His philosophy was: “Gain all you can, save all you can, give all you can.” Notice how he did not even mention spending...
  • A distraught man furiously rode his horse up to John Wesley, shouting, “Mr. Wesley, Mr. Wesley, something terrible has happened. Your house has burned to the ground!” Weighing the news for a moment, Wesley replied, “No. The Lord’s house burned to the ground. That means one less responsibility for me.”
  • Wesley had four questions he would ask himself before making a purchase. [I keep a copy of these with me in my billfold. They are powerful.]
  1. In spending this money am I acting as if I owned it, or am I acting as the Lord’s trustee? 
  2. What Scripture passage requires me to spend this money in this way? 
  3. Can I offer up this purchase as a sacrifice to the Lord? 
  4. Will God reward me for this expenditure at the resurrection of the just?