Sunday, September 18, 2011

Expectations, Met!

Through premarital counseling, reading marriage books, and marital seminars or studies, there is a large commonality that is always mentioned -- expectations. Particularly, unmet expectations. There are many reasons why it is bad to go into marriage expecting to receive from your spouse -- diminishes thankfulness, breeds bitterness, lack of appreciation, stolen joy, abets depression, disappointment abounds, loss of laughter and smiles, hurt creeps in, surprises become demands, respect disappears, love can dwindle, tension mounts... Yeah, a bunch of icky, no-good results.

Anyway, expectations in marriage = bad. But, I was thinking how expectations are not bad, especially in our relationship with Daddy. In fact, His word speaks of how we ought to expect with and from the LORD.

Psalm 5:3 ~ In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.

Psalm 39:7 ~ And now, Lord, what do I wait for and expect? My hope and expectation are in You.

Lamentations 3:24-5 ~ The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being; therefore will I hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him. The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him.

Micah 7:7 ~ But as for me, I will look to the Lord and confident in Him I will keep watch; I will wait with hope and expectancy for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.

2 Corinthians 1:10 ~ [For it is He] Who rescued and saved us from such a perilous death, and He will still rescue and save us; in and on Him we have set our hope (our joyful and confident expectation) that He will again deliver us [from danger and destruction and draw us to Himself],

2 Peter 3:14 ~ So, beloved, since you are expecting these things, be eager to be found by Him [at His coming] without spot or blemish and at peace [in serene confidence, free from fears and agitating passions and moral conflicts].

Jude 1:21 ~ Guard and keep yourselves in the love of God; expect and patiently wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah)--[which will bring you] unto life eternal.

Nothing too deep, just a reminder for myself that expectations are good in my relationship with God and bad in my relationship with Ricky (who is just a fallen, weak human like myself).

Hoping and expecting,