Thursday, June 30, 2011

First Trimester Stories

First, let me share how we told our families about baby DiMartino #2 (if anyone wants an idea), and then I'll tell a story.

Olivers: We told them on Easter Sunday. At the dinner table, Ricky nonchalantly said, "We thought that since Aolani has two cousins, (pause briefly) it was only fair for Kylie (our niece) to have two cousins, too!"

DiMartinos: We told them on Mother's Day, while we were visiting so that it was in-person. We were at a restaurant and had made "the news" our gift. We wanted to give the gift as a family before we even ordered. We had printed out that same sign that Aolani held for the blog announcement that read I am a big sister. I held her on my lap (at the front of the table so everyone could see), and Ricky flipped over the sign on her lap.

Story: Okay. So, one morning when I was around 6-7 weeks along, I woke up and ate breakfast. Then, a little bit later, I vomited big time. Well, I was expecting morning sickness/vomiting to show up any day. I thought that this was the day and quickly gathered all my barf buckets to be ready. But, then it hit again. I had to go to the restroom and felt horrible. We laid me on the bed and kept giving me liquids and food. I couldn't keep anything down -- must be a stomach virus (I had Chinese food the night before!). Anyway, I knew soon enough that this was not from being pregnant! It went on all day and into the night. I was soon dehydrated. Aolani was fussy because I wasn't producing enough milk for her. We were concerned for the womb-baby. I was on the verge of passing out; so, we went to the ER to get some IV fluids into me. I told them, repeatedly, what was the problem. But, because they heard the word pregnant and since I was vomiting, they completely ignored everything I was saying and the facts. They "knew best" and wanted the quick and easy answer, even if it was wrong. I was very frustrated. Let's just say that the stomach virus lasted less than 24 hours, and I have not thrown up since :)