Monday, June 13, 2011

Desire and Ability Both


...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

~ Philippians 2:12-3

I just love these verses; they hold so much mystery for me! There are two big things tucked in here I want to mention.

  1. Notice that the word work is in here twice, but the working is by different subjects - me and God. Now, we know that our working can do nothing to attain salvation. Only Jesus can do that and did that on the cross. But, once we accept Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf and receive salvation, we are to work it out. To me that means how does His grace affect this area of my life? Yet, we only work because He is at work in us! The great mystery of us and Him working together!

  2. God working in me -- this is what I really love. He is giving me, through the Holy Spirit, the will and helping me act on it. Not only does He walk me through something, giving me the strength and ability to do it, but He is busy at work changing my heart, giving me the desire to do it! This is oftentimes what I really need -- motivation. But, He works on me there, too. Thank You, LORD! Get to work on me ;)