Thursday, March 10, 2011

Giving and Taking This Lent

"A day late..." as yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the official beginning of the Lenten season. [Read more about Lent here.]

For the next 40 days leading up to the Easter celebration, believers in Jesus are honored to give something up to unite ourselves with Him in His sacrifice. While it is more common to give something up, I have also heard and often practiced taking something up. Every year I either give or take; it just depends.

For Lent this year, I have decided to do a little bit of both.

Give up: accusatory statements, such as "You did not..."

- replace with -

Take up: humble questions, such as "Will you...?" (a key addition for me is to ask in tone that is free of exasperation and assumption, no matter if it is routine or how many times I have already humbly asked!)

For example: "You didn't open the shades" will change to "Will you open the shades?" Simple, right?!

The giving is akin to His death, as I die to self. The taking reflects His life in me, as I try to offer life to others with my words and attitude. May this 40-day challenge truly prepare my heart for the coming remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection life!