Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Carrying Death and Life

  
We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.  ~ 2 Corinthians 4:10

How do we carry around in our body the death of Jesus?


Getting older and physically degenerating certainly makes me feel like I am continually drawing closer to death and carrying around death in my body. But certainly Paul is referring to something else.

The death of Jesus... is self-sacrificing, an emptying of self, self-denial.

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."  ~ Luke 9:23

Taking up a cross can so be done the wrong way -- with gloom, sadness, bitterness, anger. (How many times I struggle here?!)

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 ~ 2 Corinthians 12:10

The right way -- with joy, cheerfully, and open hands! And, a smile :)

How do we carry around in our body the death of Jesus?

By freely and happily saying 'No' to ourselves, so His life can be displayed in us.