Saturday, May 7, 2016

Helpful Hints, He Helps Me With

Here is the list of 70+ helpful hints I wrote about two weeks ago. I do not look at this list and pick one out at a time to help me. These are just different thoughts I have roaming around inside of my head. One or more might pop up when I need an anchoring help.

Of course, thinking these thoughts does nothing. Implementing them does. I could not put a single one into effect on my own. But, once I knew that and cry out for help (every time right now), then I begin to do it and take a step of faith. And lo and behold, He is right there empowering me and upholding me to carry the helpful hint out! Warning: Hints not beneficial alone. Many of these are similar; I've just thought these at different times, instead of summing these up in one or two hints (which may be a way that helps someone).
  1. Treat him/her as my persecutor
  2. Treat him/her as I want God to treat me when I do wrong, with open arms and unconditional love, not standoffish but intimate 
  3. James 1:19-20
  4. Hebrews 10:36
  5. Romans 12:18
  6. Is it worth it? [Is this problem worth the strife that will be engendered...]
  7. Proverbs 19:11
  8. Proverbs 20:3
  9. Don't side with Satan as an accuser, but side with Christ as a defender 
  10. If I want God to forgive me, then I must forgive 
  11. Imitate Christ
  12. Let God judge; it's not my job
  13. Punishment does not lead to reconciliation 
  14. He/She is redeemed, see him/her that way
  15. I want to be a cheerleader and encourager
  16. Proverbs 14:1
  17. Don't want to be considered a nag, but as a cheerful and content wife
  18. Surviving or thriving depends upon my attitude 
  19. How I respond is my choice 
  20. If I respect God, then I must respect and obey my husband as my God-given authority 
  21. My husband is not accountable to me but to God alone 
  22. Pick your battles 
  23. Would I expend energy over this if I was sick?
  24. I must submit, so do it with gladness 
  25. Choose joy
  26. I get to decide how happy I want to be by deciding to give thanks 
  27. Use the replacement principle with thanksgiving, by giving thanks for something fitting to that person or moment
  28. Put my husband's wants before my needs 
  29. Trust God to take care of me and meet my needs 
  30. Galatians 2:20
  31. Galatians 5:24-25
  32. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
  33. How do I want the kids to view and remember their daddy?
  34. Demonstrate Scripture and its application for my kids 
  35. I want to be Christ to him/her 
  36. I want to support and not tear down -- Galatians 5:15
  37. Show my kids how to be a Christian spouse 
  38. What do I want my kids to remember about us and our marriage?
  39. Be who I want to be; be someone I want to be around 
  40. Looking back on my life in the future, how would I want respond?
  41. Do what the future me would want me to do now 
  42. No regret 
  43. Parable of the two debtors: Matthew 18:21-35
  44. Compare the current struggle with other real problems like child slavery or sex trafficking or the Persecuted Church
  45. Four evidences of real forgiveness -- good thought, hurt you not, gossip never, friends forever 
  46. Focus on his/her positives as a father/mother, husband/wife, and man/woman
  47. If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all 
  48. Wisdom: I only live this life-- today, right now-- once; am I living it like I want or making the choices I want? Be specific to the moment!
  49. I have a choice
  50. Depression, sorrow, addictions, or bad days do not control me
  51. 1 Corinthians 6:19
  52. Can I be happy even if I had to deal with this indefinitely?
  53. Remember his/her humanness and fallenness
  54. I want, need grace for my weaknesses and struggles 
  55. Eternal perspective
  56. What kind of legacy do I want to leave?
  57. Choose God's way
  58. Ephesians 4:29
  59. Because my husband in charge, if I disagree with a parenting decision, I share and let it go since God will hold him accountable for it 
  60. Submitting is a gift to be offered not a duty to be coerced 
  61. Submission and service are the roles of Jesus -- Philippians 2:5-11
  62. Keep my mouth shut and just pray for him/her 
  63. Pull a George Constanza and do the opposite of what I want to do (it's from an old Seinfeld episode)
  64. I do not want to allow Satan to use me for his plan 
  65. I owe God, so do what He wants 
  66. Just smile and breathe first 
  67. If I do what I want, then I'll botch it...
  68. Don't let a disagreement lead to disobedience 
  69. Live in silence before God, remembering my own brokenness and depravity
  70. No one's need is greater than my own need; no one's sin is greater than my own sin
  71. His majesty and grandeur put things into perspective -- when He breathes, stars come into existence
  72. When I try to control, it only leads to unhappiness and an incomplete/unfulfilled feeling
  73. I am a soldier in God's army and must do what He commands
I'll add more as a new one comes ;)