Sunday, May 22, 2016

After-fire Thoughts

I want to document my thoughts about the fire/smoke damage to our storage unit before it gets hazy.

Honestly, I was not bothered by it emotionally for two reasons. I am not a nostalgic person, and I don't really care about stuff (I am not trying to advocate these positions, just stating facts about myself). So, in that way I just shrugged my shoulders and said Oh well.

However, I was bothered for three other reasons:

  1. This sounds trite, but my first response wasn't joy (as it should've been) but an eye-roll. This is going to be a headache. Life is hard enough for us, now we have more to juggle... more hassle. Yucky.
  2. I did cry over this incident for this reason. I felt God asking me to give a bunch of stuff away that was in storage for a few months now, and for miscellaneous reasons I kept waiting. So, I of course immediately felt great remorse for my lack of instant obedience. I had missed an opportunity to obey. Thankfully, godly sorrow brings repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).
  3. Before we got to go through everything and figure out the extent of the damage to our stuff, I was in a lot of inner turmoil, trying to figure out what will happen to the things that do get cleaned -- keep still or give away...

This is why treasure ought not to be stored on earth (Matthew 6:19-21)! :)