Saturday, April 18, 2015

What Forgiveness Looks Like

I'm slowly reading Ken Sande's Peacemaking for Families, which makes me want to read his other books. Anyway, in it he explains the four components to true forgiveness -- so powerful and definitely makes me think about the forgiveness I offer to others (how weak it is, how insincere it can be, what it should be by His power and example...):
  • I will not think about this incident.
  • I will not bring up this incident again and use it against you.
  • I will not talk to others about this incident.
  • I will not allow this incident to stand between us or hinder our personal relationship.
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. ~ Matthew 6:14-5