Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's All in the Eyes

  • Over the weekend, my parents came for a lovely visit, and Ricky journeyed to Charlotte, NC to take a test for higher certification in his career. He feels good about it!
  • Aolani's antics: can now sing "The B-I-B-L-E", carries books with her to do her #2 business, enjoys bossing Micaiah around and making him laugh, communicates with me a lot, does not wear pull-ups when we go out anymore, and has peed in her crib during nap time six of the last seven days (despite practice, I don't think she understands that she can let herself out of her bed because she has not gotten out yet and continues to call me when she wakes; she'll figure it out, though).
  • Micaiah's mishaps: measured 29" long and 18.5 lbs, has a fever right now and is acting wimpy and clingy (does not want to be put down or play with toys), wants to play by my wheelchair (at my feet) when I am the only one around, when Aolani climbs up onto my lap Micaiah will come over to us and start trying to climb up my footrest (precious!), and... this is sad for me... I think he is done wanting Mommy. He is all about Daddy now. [I was hoping the Mommy-infatuation-stage would last a little longer, like one-year.]
  • What we do for a fever (no other symptoms): draw it out with cold washcloths (on forehead, head, neck, and inner wrists) and take Elderberry Syrup (I take it five minutes before nursing to pass on the immuno-benefits through my breast milk for infants). And pay attention to the child :)
  • Our current routine -- 7-8: kids wake, nurse both  8-9: we all get ready  9: Ricky leaves for work and we eat breakfast  9:30-10: organize/clean/laundry/play  10: Micaiah nurses 10:30-11:30: Micaiah naps while Aolani and I play (I try to plan fun stuff for now) and eat a snack  11:30-12: change diaper  12: nurse Micaiah  1-1:45: Ricky comes home for lunch  1:45-2:30: tackle nursing them both and getting them down for a nap  4: Micaiah wakes, change diaper, read  4:30: nurse Micaiah, Aolani wakes  5: nurse Aolani and eat a snack 5:30-6: Ricky joins us  6:30 dinner  7-7:30: Micaiah gets ready for bed and nurses  8-8:45: Aolani's bedtime routine  9: we breathe 12: we go to sleep  [Notes: Micaiah still wakes 1-2x a night to nurse. Also, their may be another diaper change in here depending on his bowels ;) This is more like a routine than a schedule; all the times are subject to change daily! Aolani usually talks and sings to herself at night for 30-45 minutes. Aolani sleeps ~10.5 hours at night and ~2 hours during the day. Micaiah sleeps ~12 hours at night and ~2.5 hours during the day.]






  • My mom got these adorable dress-up outfits for the kids to wear tonight, and we tried them on (too cute). Halloween: Our current feelings about this day is that if you aren't going to use this opportunity to witness, then don't celebrate it. Since we did not have a single visitor last year (or tonight), we did not want to make today special. So, we are dressing the kids up tomorrow in honor of All Saints' Day (and eating treats). However, we do want to go out door-to-door and pass out tracts (or small books, more likely) when Aolani gets a little bit older. Like a reverse Halloween! [Knock on a door. Opens up. We have a treat for YOU! Give book.]





    • Okay. So I made a board book using this cute idea, a Book of Eyes, showing just the eyes of family. It's suppose to be baby-friendly; however, Micaiah kind of chewed the edges before I got around to taking pictures of it (sorry). [Note: I should have cover the whole thing in packing tape for an indestructible, truly baby-friendly toy.]






    • Verse to memorize this week: Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.