Sunday, October 14, 2012

Taken with Mercy

There is a scene in the movie Taken where Liam Neeson aims his gun at some bad guy, who is pleading for his life to be spared, and pulls the trigger anyway, taking this man's life. Showing no mercy. And, on the inside, I cheer -- yes!

I mean, granted, this bad guy is more than bad (by our human definition). He is d-e-s-p-i-c-a-b-l-e. Like, sick-to-your-stomach, nauseating, repulsive, "please kill this wretched being!"

However, after the movie was over, all I could think about was this scene and how I felt. I was glad that Neeson killed him. Moreso, I was glad that this bad guy did not receive any mercy because he sure did not deserve any!

And, it hits me like a ton of bricks: in God's eyes, I am that bad guy. I am no better. I do not deserve to be shown ANY mercy! I, the wretched woman I am, deserve death. Period.

Thank goodness that Liam Neeson is not God! Because God does offer mercy, not because we deserve it but because of His loving goodness, in the person of Jesus. Believe in Jesus = receive mercy (and forgiveness and eternal, abundant life). Reject Jesus = reject mercy (and receive the death, eternal torment in hell, that bad guy had coming).

Yes, thank God for loving me enough to send Jesus to pay my debt and offer me mercy so that I can have a different fate! Now, in God's eyes, I am clothed in righteousness, covered by Jesus's blood, and He sees His Son.

Mercy = simply defined as not getting what you deserve.