Sunday, September 23, 2012

Demonstrating His Love

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
~ Romans 5:8
 
Reciting my verses as normal. Nursing Micaiah before slumber. Minding my own business. Next thing I know, I'm bleeding -- spiritual blood, physical tears. The Spirit always decides when and where He wants to open the Word up to me... what verse He wants to use to reveal something new to me (who cares if I've quoted or read it a hundred times?).
 
Recently, it was the oft-quoted Romans 5:8. Now, this insight is not some crazy-deep understanding of, well, exactly what this verse is about and is saying: salvation! God loves us so much that He made a way for our sin to be taken care of while His holiness is satisfied not by overlooking our wrong but by sending Jesus to take our place (and receive our death) if we but believe this is so and follow Jesus day by day.
 
Instead, I spoke it, and suddenly, this is what I heard in my heart:
 
Aidan can demonstrate God's love for Ricky by this:
When Ricky wrongs you, die to self.
 
Whoa. I am still unpacking all that this means for me, for my marriage. However, one big (convicting) thing for me that I know and see right off is that when Ricky does something that doesn't seem to be in my personal interest (usually not a sin) and I don't like it (I'm hurt), then I need to die. To my wants or my wounds.
 
No eye for an eye, no punishment, no banishment, no tears, no silent treatment, no harsh remarks, no sarcasm, no lectures, no condemnation, no anger, no pity-parties, no raised voices, no panic, no guilt-inducing glares... okay, none of my yucky, natural, fleshy, sin nature responses. I must put these inclinations, which are sin, to death and instead embrace the Spirit (Gal. 5:16) in me by choosing to submit (Eph. 5:21-4) and seek to keep the peace (Eph. 4:3).
 
{Because I am called to demonstrate His love to every one I meet, especially my hubby!}
 
Choosing His ways,