Sunday, August 5, 2012

Open Those Eyes

Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty; open your eyes and you will be satisfied with bread.
~ Proverbs 20:13

I get the traditional proverbial insight from this verse: Don't sleep all day and be lazy (in want/poor) but work hard (needs met/provision). Got it.

However, I slowly read this verse out loud the other day (from the Amplified Bible), and something else popped out this time!

...open your eyes and you will be satisfied...

If we open our eyes -- look around, see the blessings God has poured out richly on us, and give thanks -- then you will be satisfied!

No doing anything*, just an awareness of what you already have, what is. Instead of living with an always-wanting-more attitude, which brings discontentment, try to just wake up to what God has already given you. And thank Him! Isn't this what brings joy? Isn't this why I make lists?

If we just see, we will be content.

Goodbye grabby heart! Hello peace and fulfillment!

*Note: I am not saying do nothing in the sense of sit around and be lazy; I am saying do nothing in regards to chasing after the wind (striving for the more that won't satisfy).

Opening my eyes,