Thursday, September 23, 2010

Grace and Needs Collide


This thought is not my own, but John Piper brought it to my attention. I had never noticed or thought about it before, but it pertains to some verses in Philippians 4. Since I memorized that chapter, insight into verses I chew on all day long highly interests me!

It’s the same as the other biblical promise: “My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). This promise is clarified in the preceding words: “In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:12-13).

It says we can do “all things” through Christ. But notice “all things” includes “hungering” and “needing.” God will meet every real need, including the ability to rejoice in suffering when many felt needs do not get met. God will meet every real need, including the need for grace to hunger when the felt need for food is not met. The suffering and death of Christ guarantee that God will give us all things that we need to do his will and to give him glory and to attain everlasting joy.


This is eye-opening for me! I have always thought that verse 19 referred to all my felt needs, too. I never thought to look back earlier in the chapter for clarification. And just yesterday I read about a missionary starving to death, while reveling in the goodness of God.

Again: God will give us all things that we need to do his will.

Grace covers me.