Saturday, June 18, 2016

Contented in My One Desire


Contentment.

I think it's more than just acceptance of what is. To me that's like being nonchalant and apathetic. An okay or whatever response.

I'm thinking more of deeply satisfied and completely fulfilled. A place where you want for nothing.

I've always thought I was a content person, because I accept my lot (Ecc. 5:18). But, lately, I keep finding myself thinking with exasperation, "I can't wait to do that when I'm healed" or "When I'm healed..." It doesn't sound that bad, and I could probably reason how it could actually be good or beneficial.

However, for me, truth is, this thinking is robbing me of my contentment -- where I have no other wants except God, for He is enough. I want to want nothing else. Just Christ.

[Not that wanting to be healed is so bad. That desire partly fuels my longing for Heaven. But, I think Satan can cause frequent wants to add up and engender a feeling of being discontent. This being a way he steals our joy.]

I won't say that I don't struggle with this anymore. But, I do recognize it and am making a very conscious effort to take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ (2 Cor. 10:5). ["No! I will not go there. I can only find full satisfaction in Him, not in anything else.]

Aidan