Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Party Behind, Party Ahead


  • Our baby boy turned one last Friday. What a delightful bundle of love! This past year with him has been a joy in every way -- thank You, God, for loaning him to us for now! His personality is really starting to emerge... Anyway, Ricky's parents came for the weekend. They took the kids for portraits at the local Olan Mills Studio. A friend came over on his birthday and made him cupcakes (with zucchini and pumpkin, you'd never know it though). Ricky and I made a big dinner for his "party," and we gave gifts.
  • Ricky was called away to court in another county the past three days -- meaning, 11-hour long, days :( When it would get late in the evening, Aolani would look out the window and say, "Mommy, it's dark. Where's Daddy? Coming home soon?" And, when Ricky would arrive home, we'd shout, "Daddy's home!" and Micaiah would get excited and start repeating his Dada :)
  • The kids no longer have runny noses, but their coughs are persistently lingering (although they only cough occasionally).
  • I had a friend from church (who put the door in Aolani's crib) make me another footstool for my wheelchair that has double the surface area, and he attached it at a slight angle to help keep my feet from sliding off -- so far so good!
  • I cannot remember if I had mentioned it, but Ricky finally passed all four parts of his test for higher certification -- YAY! I know he is relieved...
  • Aolani's antics: weighs 31.4 pounds and measures three feet tall, is constantly walking around and talking with her hands on her hips (adorably funny), enjoys playing a cute-silly version of hide-n-seek with her brother...
  • While I nurse Aolani on my bed at night, I'll sometimes pray aloud and sing. Then, I call it quits after eight minutes. We kiss, and then she wants a bear hug (she'll spread wide her arms and do a crash landing on me). Finally, I tell her to go find Daddy to tuck her into her bed.
  • Micaiah's mishaps: started waving (exaggerated and sweet), really likes to dance to Feliz Navidad for some reason ;), stands holding on but still not pulling up, sings with me, slaps his legs on the floor when he is giddy, desperately begs to partake of our snacks (and feels so big now that he gets to eat what his big sister is eating), is able to bite my sandwich (nice for me), talks back...


Micaiah's first dessert -- cupcake. He liked them so much, he ate three over the weekend! [Recipe in post below.]


We got him a Duplo set for his birthday; he still screams with joy as he plays with them!

Her hair...
  • The following pictures were on Ricky's mom's camera and are (mostly) from our Thanksgiving trip. Too many to share!







 I am including this one because this is the oh-so-frustrating norm when it comes to taking pictures with little kids.

 Compare this picture of Micaiah playing with the nativity set to the picture above of Aolani playing with the nativity set ;) 
with the great-grandparents
Now, this is my girl -- typical Aolani! Probably shushing you because the babydoll is taking a nap :)
  • Verse to memorize this week: 1 Corinthians 10:13 ~ No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.