Monday, March 11, 2019

A Lent of No Numbers

I am not positive how I want to proceed with Lent in the future. (Remember that whatever you give up for Lent is just for six days. You are free to indulge on the Sabbath.)

This year, I decided to give up telling my family how many times I have already asked them to do something (i.e., For the fourth time, please pick that up!) and take up calmly repeating my request.

It’s simple and specific, which I like. But, here’s the rub.

By the time I get to repeating numbers, I am likely angry, frustrated, and grumbling in my heart (James 5:9). It’s likely a sinful response that I want to get rid of (Colossians 3:5-10). I want to make war and kill sin every day, not just six. So, I am probably picking the wrong thing to give up.

I realize that you don’t have to partake of your sacrifice on the seventh day or even once Lent is over, and you don’t have to follow legalistically some unbiblical “Lent law.” It’s just that I think I should give up something that is not sinful necessarily. Next year, I might change it up...