Monday, June 4, 2018

Called to Peace

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.
Colossians 3:15

This is a popular verse in our home. And it has been for me for years now. But recently the Spirit illuminated a new depth of meaning that I had been missing.

I used to always focus on the first half of the verse, thinking the second half to be more like a directive telling me how I needed to behave. "Act peacefully since His peace rules your heart.” Not that there’s not truth to that, but I don’t think that’s what Paul is saying here.

I think Paul is getting at God’s action and not ours.

He has called me to be in and dwell in peace. It's not a call to action but a reminder of this gift He has for us. He wants for me to have and know peace. Imagine the Father beckoning His child to come get dessert.

So come and get it! For He is calling you to peace.