Thursday, January 4, 2018

Resolutions for 2018


I got the idea of one resolution a month from Ann Voskamp. Not that I cannot do the other ones when it’s not the assigned month, but I like having just one thing that I need to focus on and accomplish each day. It’s not overwhelming that way and seems very feasible! I have too many resolutions otherwise. Plus, it’s said that it only takes 21 days of repetition for something to become a habit. I am not good at having abstract goals, so I put my planned action step for how I hope to do each one after stating my desire.

January --
Embrace my husband emotionally by offering him a sweet smile when he comes home and thank him for coming home.
February --
Engage my kids' ugliness by expecting the badness (disobedience, ungratefulness, whining, entitlement...) and complimenting them when they act or speak nicely instead of shaking my head and acting repulsed (my natural response).
March --
Be who I want to be by responding the way I will have wanted to when I look back on this moment in retrospect. 
April --
Believe for the unseen by praying while I nurse at night.
May --
Speak gratitude by verbalizing my thanks instead of pointing out when something doesn’t go my way (a rational, adult way of complaining). 
June --
Daily worship by listening to  one song a day and focusing only on the Worthy One in praise.
July --
Do literature delving by reading for just five minutes a day, alternating fiction and nonfiction,
August --
Let go of frustration by repeating myself kindly and asking again instead of exasperatedly saying how many times I have already asked or sarcastically thanking for not doing what I asked.
September--
Learn the Scripture I already memorized by rehearsing two verses every waking hour. 
October--
Live trusting God by restraining my anger when my felt needs are not being met.
November--
Give presence to my kids at night by helping my husband put the older kids to bed, when possible.
December--
Grow in grace by reading just one Bible chapter a day.